A number of my (male) co-workers were shaving in order to grow facial hair for Movember, and I didn’t want to be left out. Fortunately I had some yarn in my stash that sort of resembled my hair color, and I was off and running. Err, off and knitting. This was done ad hoc and free form. I cast on enough stitches to cover my face from ear to ear, and slowly decreased from there. I factored in a gigantic “buttonhole” for my mouth, and switched the pattern to seed stitch once I got to the beard section. The fuzziness of the yarn and the seed stitch gave the beard a lot of texture.
When the beard was complete, I crocheted a chain for each side so I could secure it in place with a bow tied behind my head. My co-workers were amused and amazed, and I was pretty pleased with the results.