This sweater, which is informally known as “an HR disaster waiting to happen”, is finally finished! The first time I wore it to work, people couldn’t help reaching out to touch it. The texture is pretty intense, so I can’t really blame them, although I wish they had asked for permission first. The pattern is a riff on “The incredible, custom-fit, Raglan sweater“, and it took a month of obsessive knitting and complete disregard for everything else in order to complete it. In lieu of buttons, I have experimented with different brooches as a closure for the sweater. I also opted to leave it as a short sleeve sweater. Long sleeves would have been fun, but by the time I completed them it would have been too warm to wear it.
The yarn was assembled using a lazy magic ball technique. By lazy, I mean that I tied all of the yarn lengths together instead of weaving the fibers together with a yarn needle. Because I used such varying yarn textures, the traditional connection technique would not have worked, and it would have taken FOREVER. I wrote a short blog post for SCRAP, my material source, on How to Make the Most of Short Lengths of Yarn. At one point, I probably had 50 different yarns on the table as the palette to create my custom yarn.
I am incredibly happy with how the sweater turned out, but I don’t expect to be knitting any more sweaters for a while. It is really tricky to get the size and shape right. I had to frog my first attempt at the collar, which was frustrating because I had spent hours on it. On the plus side, it gave me an excuse to stay up late with an entire season of The Aquabats Super Show.