When my friend Kelly at Kelly’s Brighton Marina lamented that his crab hat didn’t have the right number of appendages, I decided to make one for him.

As a prototype, I started with a plain red ball cap. The shell and the legs were sewn by machine, although some pieces were partially sewn on by hand because the machine couldn’t maneuver to where I needed to sew it. Pulling the legs inside out was a bit tricky because they were so narrow. I used a crochet hook to push the stuffing into the legs. The shell did not have any stuffing. The eyes are from my stash of accessories for plush creatures.

It took a weekend to build, and Kelly was super happy with his new hat!

Kelly and Jenn